Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Bharatha Natyam

So, work wasn't that bad after all... it was actually a lot more fun and relaxed than I thought it would be.

I just majored in Film-making. One of my friends decided to make a movie out of a script she had written sometime ago. I know everybody that's working with us, they are really nice. I am assistent director together with another very sweet friend of mine. We all worked together in the final film-project in college.

Anyway, my friend, the scriptwriter and director, is a dancer. She dances an indian classical dance called Bharatha Natyam (or Bharatanatyam). She lived in India and now teaches indian classical dance at an studio she owns with two other friends. The script she wrote is based on one classical Bharatha Natyam called Maha Deva Shiva Shambo, which is about a couple who can't have children. They beg one to the God Shiva. Shiva gives them two choices: a normal child that will live normally or a perfect child who will live only till its 16 years. They chose the perfect one. One he turns 16 his parents tell him of his dreadful fate. The boy, however, doesn't accept his fates and starts to pray a lot to Shiva and fight to overcome death. When Kali, Goodness of death, comes to take him, Shiva comes in rescue and the boy is saved and the God presents him with the gift of eternal life. At first I thought this story was a little weird with a weird message. But then, later, as I really analized it, it has a very good meaning. Well, I interpreted the following... God is powerful and has control over our lives and destinies. But we do have the power to change fate if we want and fight for it and, by doing so, we are not going against God's wishes. In fact, we can talk to God and He might understand and come to help us. I don't know if I am expressing myself to the fullest but, if you wish to see it in a less theist interpretation... you can see that we do have some fate coming on to us, but we do have the power to change it sometimes.

Back to the set...
We started really late because the guy that works with all the light stystem in the theater we were filming on arrived three (!) hours later than he should. But we managed to do everything all right and I think the shots were really great!!
Well, I won't talk about any detail. I had do direct a little bit because the director was dancing (yesterday we were filming two scenes were she dances as Shiva) and asked me to do it so she could concentrate on her dancing. I was already impressed the first time I saw Indian classical dance. But yesterday... I was hypnotized. It's just so beautiful... I think I will join her classes and try to learn it myself too. I'm kinda clumsy but I will give it a try.



What atracts me is that, this dance is strong and powerful yet also gentle and gracious. It's full of some kind of special feelings that comes from the moves, the eyes, the make-up, the clothes, the music...ah, the music.

Got to sleep now. Lots of things to do tomorrow. Saturday, back to the set.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home